Nutrition Month

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Omega supplementation



 I usually recommend Omega supplementation to almost everyone, but especially people with Hypertension, Cholesterol, Diabetes, Thyroid disease, Constipation, IBS, Eczema, Psoriasis and Depression

Some people avoid fish because they don't like the taste or because of the potential for mercury contamination. If this is your situation, then you can do one of two things. You can increase your intake of plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids, or you can take omega-3 supplements.
Cold-water oily fish, like salmon, herring and tuna, are good sources for the omega-3 fatty acids, but there are plenty of plant-based sources of omega-3s you can eat if you don't want to consume fish. Plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids include flax seeds, canola oil, soy, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. Research suggests eating flax seeds may help to prevent cardiovascular disease, but the evidence is not as strong for flax as it is for fish oil and fish oil supplements.

Dietary modification to increase the consumption of cold-water fish (eg, salmon) rich in polyunsaturated fats may help to raise HDL-C. Capsules containing omega-3 fatty acids (1.48 g of docosahexaenoic acid + 1.88 g of eicosapentaenoic acid) have been formulated and are commercially available in some parts of the world (as Omacor). In a recent small study in patients with familial combined hyperlipidemia, treatment with this formulation for 8 weeks increased HDL-C by 8%, particularly the more buoyant HDL2 subfraction.
The Studies Look Promising…

The usual dose used in these studies ranges between 900 mg and 5 grams a day of a combination of EPA and DHA. In order to achieve this amount, one would need to consume a lot of fish. Therefore, supplements are typically used. Ingesting 900 mg of omega-3 fatty acids each day resulted in a 4-percent decrease in triglyceride levels after six months. The average effective dose used in most studies was between 2 to 4 grams, and this resulted in an average drop in triglycerides between 25 to 45 percent. The effectiveness of omega-3 fatty acids on triglycerides is dose-dependent, meaning that the more omega-3 fatty acids ingested, the lower your triglyceride levels will fall. This works best when following a healthy diet. Omega-3 fatty acids seemed to affect recently ingested triglycerides more. Additionally, individuals with extremely high triglyceride levels (greater than 500 mg/dL) seem to derive the most benefit from omega-3 fatty acid supplementation.




Also see my Niacin Blog for suggestions on increasing HDL.


You will notice that one of the supplements have CoQ10. It has been studied for congestive heart failure and I have recommended that people at future risk of heart disease add this to their regimen. You will need two of these to approach the content of the other products on this page. CoQ10 is known to be highly concentrated in heart muscle cells due to the high energy requirements of this cell type. For the past 14 years, the great bulk of clinical work with CoQ10 has focused on heart disease. Specifically, congestive heart failure (from a wide variety of causes) has been strongly correlated with significantly low blood and tissue levels of CoQ10. The severity of heart failure correlates with the severity of CoQ10 deficiency. It is naturally present in small amounts in a wide variety of foods but is particularly high in organ meats such as heart, liver and kidney, as well as beef, soy oil, sardines, mackerel, and peanuts. To put dietary CoQ10 intake into perspective, one pound of sardines, two pounds of beef, or two and one half pounds of peanuts, provide 30 mg of CoQ10.
Testing is available. http://www.gdx.net/core/one-page-test-descriptions/Essential-Metabolic-Fatty-Acids-Test-Description.pdf http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/sample-reports/Fatty-Acids-Bloodspot-SR.pdf
FDA Disclaimer

The statements and products shown on this website have not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration.

These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Those seeking treatment for a specific disease should consult a qualified integrative physician prior to using our products if possible.


4 comments:

  1. Truly I discovered this article more useful, much obliged for sharing this article
    senna extract manufacturer in india

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am deeply concerned about the still increase in population of people living with HSV, HIV, CANCERS, HEPATITIS, STROKES in our society today because of ignorance, to be Frank all this big names are grammars. I saw comments of people DR UTU helped get rid of their diseases, with the increase in population of people living with various diseases and myself as a beneficiary to DR UTU traditional cure I thought I too should reach the world via comment. Many People believed traditional herbs are so primitive and some are even shy to purchase it in public. Some went as far as trashing the legendary name of herbal medicine hiding its numerous advantages and let publicly it disadvantage and yet makes it look big, all this are just for pharmaceutical gain. All pharmaceutical cure are derived from existing traditional herbal cure from ages.
    Yes! I'm here to tell the world the actual FACT! which is; there is herbal cure for herpes, Ebola, HIV, cancers, hepatitis, ulcers, asthma, pile, diabetes and many big names of diseases. all my career I've lived my life believing and making research on this, till I confirmed it four years ago. Since four years ago and till today I still say yes! That among many real traditional herbalist Dr Nze Utu Njoku @ (drutuherbalcure) cures this diseases using African traditional herbs. After he cured me four years ago of genital herpes, ever since then I worked with him distance never a barrier, I'm a living witness to this. And I have directed both genital and oral herpes patients to him and they are permanently cured. I'm Ethan Oliver from Australia and also a herbal dealer and lover. I'm also a researcher on herbs for good health. Which also include Africa traditional herbal treatment, I support Herbal treatment, cure and vaccines. My view is based on my extensive research over a very long period of time, and my conclusion is, there is cure to all natural diseases including HSV, HIV, CANCERS, DIABETES, using the right medications with the right herbalist. Are you herpes positive and permanently want get rid of this disease or any of this big name diseases don't be scared to save yourself, contact Dr Utu for permanent herbal cure. Be bold and smart Don't be fooled by selfish people who say, cure is impossible.
    Dr UTU e-mail , 'drutuherbalcure@gmail.com'

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thank you the Dr. Abang, the great and powerful herbalist and to the glory of God the Almighty for sparing my life ...I'm I'm from Alaska, United State. It's so hard to have being in bondage of such a bad a deathly virus like HERPES, after 5 years of diagnosed . My life was full with with sorrows,pains and regret to have trusted my ex boyfriend that much who put me into this mess and abandon me for lots of women. I didn't believe the pharmacist who said I might not be cured permanent from the virus.I was making use of the Acyclovir tab 200mg 2tab every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams and H5 POT. Permanganate add water Apply 2xaday. I tried so many other ways ways to get ride the herpes that have affected me this long, but but the sores keep reappearing. Luckily for me during my search for possible cures for herpes, I came across a lady who was cured by the most spiritual herbalist. From cancer. I quickly wrote down his mail Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com,we spoke and he guided me on the remedy to my cure. Then, I ordered for his cured and he prepared and sent it to through the DHL two weeks after I took In the medicine I felt more stronger, and was scared to go for the test, the doctor told me with assurance that have been cured.when I got there, I tested negative my breakthrough came real. His medicine are very affective,with no site effect and active immune booster. 100% sure for his cures now. I'm now free from herpes. Contact him to cure you from any problem,his a gifted herbalist he cures all virus and sickness. Including Hiv/Aids, Gonorrhea HPV, Diabetes , Cancer, Chancroid, Hepatitis Syphilis, increase in Spam count ,Infertility ,kidney stones week erection, and much more... Rush for your
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
    Is the solution to your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete