Nutrition Month

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gluten free shopping




Gluten allergies are relatively common. 1 in 111 adults (0.9%) have a gluten allergy. When people with gastrointestinal complaints were studied, 1 in 30 adults (3.3%) were found to have a gluten allergy. This makes a gluten allergy quite common, especially when people with chronically uncomfortable guts are considered. Gluten Free is everywhere: supermarkets, magazines, and celebrity diets. Is it good for you? Does it have real health advantages? Can it help you lose weight and stay healthy?





Gluten is a protein found in certain types of grain -- wheat, rye, barley -- that can cause an autoimmune reaction in in the small intestine, resulting in symptoms ranging from stomach pain to nutrient malabsorption. People that suffer from this are often diagnosed with celiac disease, which affects more than 3 million Americans nationwide. The most effective solution is a strict, gluten-free diet. Just how many people can't tolerate gluten? A much wider audience is suffering from milder symptoms of gluten intolerance than previously realized -- nearly 18 million Americans. Those with even the slightest bit of intolerance are turning their focus to gluten-free foods to alleviate these uncomfortable side effects.

 Should I go gluten-free? Stocking up on every food item that touts the "gluten-free" label seems like a no-brainer -- but that's not always the best-case scenario. Gluten binds foods like pretzels and cake together. Without it, food companies are forced to add extra fat and sugar to make up for the lack of texture and flavor. Hello, extra calories! Gluten-free foods can be quite expensive, too (bread at $6?). These products may be the remedy to your GI issues but could be causing a thickening waistline and a thinning wallet. My advice: Seek out foods that are naturally gluten-free, instead of trying to eat something that's trying to be something it's not.

 5 gluten-free carbs that won't break the bank or widen your waistline:

  Oatmeal -- I get this question all the time: "Is oatmeal gluten-free?" The answer is yes, naturally it is. That being said, oats are usually processed in food facilities that also contain wheat products so the chance of cross contamination is high. However, there are companies that have isolated, specialized farms that produce gluten-free grains without this concern. Bob's Red Mill has an entire line of oat products ranging from quick rolled or steel cut oats to GF oat flour. Pick your pleasure! Polenta -- This freshly-ground corn product actually yields a lot of options. Trader Joe's offers an organic variety that works great as a substitute for pasta or used as a pie crust in an egg white and spinach quiche. Since polenta is gluten-free to start with, you won't find any extra sugar or fat. A 1/4 tube serving is only 70 calories and provides two grams of protein.

  Buckwheat -- People usually group buckwheat into the cereal grain category, but it's actually a fruit seed related to rhubarb and is packed with magnesium and phosphorous. Replace rice side dishes with buckwheat or add to soups instead of using noodles. Besides its hearty flavor, buckwheat satisfies hunger with six grams of protein and five grams of fiber per one cooked cup serving. Wheat free tortillas -- Going Gluten-free can make sandwiches and wraps difficult. Using a low calorie, wheat free tortilla makes an excellent substitution. French Meadow bakery uses tapioca starch and rice flour to make a delicious wrap at only 120 calories.

  Amaranth -- One of the lesser-known grains, amaranth contains more protein than wheat in a form that is more readily available to the body. When compared to other grains, it's also the front runner in calcium, iron and an important amino acid called lysine.
Using digestive enzymes can be effective in minimizing the impact of gluten for those with gluten intolerance or gut injury.


Click on the colored links for more shopping options




Gluten Free crackers and snacks

crackers gluten free

gluten free cookies

gluten free corn chips

gluten free lays

gluten free vegetable chips

gluten free candy

gluten free soda











Glucomann (also called Miracle and shiritaki noodles)

* made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.
* contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan.
* wheat & gluten free and kosher.
* Easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce.
* are instant and come in a variety of styles
* have shown beneficial effects backed by medical studies for Type II Diabetes, Constipation, Obesity, and Cholesterol!

What are they made of: Glucomannan, a water-soluble polysaccharide that is considered a dietary fiber. Glucomannan is a food additive used as an emulsifier and thickener. Products containing glucomannan, marketed under a variety of brand names, are also sold as nutritional supplements for constipation, obesity, high cholesterol, acne vulgaris and type 2 diabetes. Though there is some clinical support for potential health benefits, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved any product containing glucomannan for the treatment of these medical conditions.

Miracle Noodles

Shirataki noodles absorb the flavor of whatever you add them to, so don't be shy with the sauce. These weight-loss noodles leave you feeling full and satisfied all-day long. Shirataki noodles contain little carbs or calories, and are rich with dietary fiber. They are low carb, and good for a healthy diet. Shirataki noodles are thinner than wheat noodles, do not break as easily, and have a different texture. They are mostly composed of a dietary fiber called glucomannan and contain very few calories and carbohydrates (sometimes even zero). Glucomannan is a water-soluble dietary fiber made from the roots of the Asian Konjac plant.

miracle noodles gluten free



















Consider gluten free cereal, usually made of rice or corn.

gluten free post cereal

gluten free chex

gluten free oatmeal

gluten free kellog









Gluten free bread

gluten free pie crust gluten free bread mix

gluten free cake mix







Soy sauce contains gluten, there are substitutes

soy sauce gluten free






Gluten Free condiments

gluten free condiments








Gluten Free Pasta

gluten free pasta







Many Restaurants have Gluten Free Menus, for example:

Romanos Macaroni Grill
BJ's Brewhouse
PF Changs
Bonefish Grill
Boston Market
Chili's
Chipolte's
Outback Steakhouse
Ruby Tuesday's
TGI Friday's

You can download an app that will help you for example: Eating Out G-Free Offers tips on how to find a gluten-free menu, create a gluten-free shopping list, lists of foods to avoid and how to stay gluten-free while dining away from the home. Supplements The G-Free Diet, by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Find Me Gluten Free Lists restaurants ratings and reviews based on how gluten-friendly the businesses are in the area.

There are Gluten Free product lines

Udi's gluten free
Glutino gluten free




This blog will be updated often. Please feel free to leave a suggestion.

1 comment:

  1. THE STORY OF MY BREAKTHROUGH "
    Hi dear readers,
    Today,I would like to tell story of how I suffered from a 7 years bareness of FIBROID and how I was cured in less than a month by a Herbalist in Africa Dr.Akpu power
    First thing first, let me introduce myself. I'm LUCY HARDEN , 38 years, lives in Chicago .
    This is my story
    Many couples are faced with the issues not conceiving many years,after marriage and this sometimes puts a strain on the union.
    However,the patient ones are sometimes rewarded. i faced embarrassing questions from friends and family after marriage for years without a child
    Unknown to them that I was battling with fibroid that I have to removed before being able to conceive.
    Just when my husband decided to take me to a surgery for fibroids,after trying lots of medical prescription but nothing positive could show up. I was seriously looking for means and I thought about Herbs, when my friend Rose told me to try Dr. Akpu power herbal medicine as a power doctor that helped her cure her daughter from Herpes. Luckily for me during my search for my fibroid remedy,I came across a testimony of a lady who was born with HIV, that doctor Akpu helped cured and I was touched if I could have applied it might have work for me before now. This same Herbalist i was directed to some months ago by my friend who he cured his 18 years daughter from Herpes had been so powerful behind my knowledge.
    I told my husband about what I saw and he said I should contact him and try his medicine.
    When I copied the mail and wrote to him,we spoke and explained my problem to him. He said I shouldn't cry any more, I should testify to the world and those who mocked at my barrenness that I'm pregnant.
    I quickly requested for his Medicine , and he prepared and sent it for me with details of how to use.
    His medicine are very effective. And it also boosts up my immune system.
    I did as instructed and after a couple of months I went for the second test when I lost my habitat again,I thought I was fibroid positive again ,my husband took me to the hospital and my Dr. Confirmed me 3 weeks pregnant, Fibroid negative.
    That blows my mind!
    I had just conceive. I'm a mother of twice now. A boy and a girl.
    Please help me praise God for opening my eyes to see who directed me to Dr.Akpu power of Africa.
    You should contact him his live at his home or @
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    Phone no(WhatsApp): +234 8079594617
    He had successfully cured people from
    HIV/AIDS,
    Herpes
    Cancers
    Fibroid
    Epilepsy
    Diabetes
    Pile
    Kidney/liver failure
    Stroke
    Poison/ cartridge infection
    Try as much as you can contact this man,for cure or information to your health challenges.
    Dr.Akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    Don't forget

    ReplyDelete