Nutrition Month

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lactation aids for Breastfeeding, some suggestions

There are certain food supplements as well as prescription medications that may increase your milk supply. Before using any of these, it is important to rule out other problems such as illness in mother or baby. Many herbal supplements have been used for many years to increase milk production, with the most popular being Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and Red Raspberry. Brewers Yeast (containing B vitamins) is another commonly recommended treatment for low milk supply. I usually recommend that mothers try Fenugreek capsules (2-3 capsules taken 3 times daily) along with Blessed Thistle tablets (same dosage). You many want to add Brewers Yeast tablets (3 tablets taken with meals, 3 times per day) and Red Raspberry tea or capsules several times each day. I know that seems like a lot of capsules to take, but if you don't want to take them all, the Fenugreek seems to be the most effective. Fenugreek is rated GRAS (generally regarded as safe), but when taken in large doses may cause lowered blood sugar, so should be used with caution by diabetics. It is in the same family with peanuts and chickpeas, and may cause an allergic reaction in moms who are allergic to them. It may cause a maple syrup odor in urine and sweat. For the majority of mothers, it causes no problems, and can be very effective. It has not been known to cause any problems for the babies of the mothers who take it.


Medicinally, fennel is widely used as a digestive aid. It also has mild estrogenic properties. Fennel is sometimes used to counteract infant colic, whether consumed by the mother or given directly to the infant. The Wise Woman Herbal suggests that breastfeeding women use the seeds of fennel or any of its close relatives (anise, cumin, caraway, coriander and dill) to improve their milk supply. Although clinical evidence for its efficacy is lacking, fennel seed has enjoyed centuries of use as a galactagogue. Its mechanism of action is unknown.

Fenugreek has been used for centuries to increase the flow of milk, and was used historically as such, along with fennel, by wet nurses in the southern United States in days gone by. There are also reports of fenugreek's use as a galactagogue in Sudan, Egypt, other parts of North Africa, Iraq, and Argentina.
Fenugreek is contraindicated during pregnancy in Western herbalism, as it is a uterine stimulant. This action may be the result of a steroidal saponin called neotigogenin, which is contained in the seeds. Indeed, the effect of fenugreek upon the uterus may be related to its stimulant effect upon the milk ducts in the breast, for both are effected by the hormone oxytocin and its pharmacological relatives.
In North America, fenugreek seeds are commonly brewed as a tea, and the broth and seeds are both consumed. Alternately, they can be ground and taken in capsule form. According to popular lore, an adequate dose has been consumed when one's body smells mapley. The German Commission E monograph recommends a daily dose of 6 grams of the seeds; doses of over 100 grams can cause nausea and an upset stomach.

Barley Water

Barley-water is used medicinally to treat colds, intestinal problems (both constipation and diarrhea) and liver disorders. It was recorded in Greek medicine two thousand years ago as a galactagogue. Taken for a week or two, it often helps mothers with chronic low milk supply. Make a pot in the morning and drink it throughout the day, warming each cup and sweetening it with a natural sweetener as desired.

Barley-water can be made with whole grain or pearl barley. Barley flakes can also be used, though these have been processed and are possibly less potent than the whole or pearled grain.

3 comments:

  1. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Phytotherapy.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp ... 2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    Hepatitis
    Lung Cancer
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE STORY OF MY BREAKTHROUGH "
    Hi dear readers,
    Today,I would like to tell story of how I suffered from a 7 years bareness of FIBROID and how I was cured in less than a month by a Herbalist in Africa Dr.Akpu power
    First thing first, let me introduce myself. I'm LUCY HARDEN , 38 years, lives in Chicago .
    This is my story
    Many couples are faced with the issues not conceiving many years,after marriage and this sometimes puts a strain on the union.
    However,the patient ones are sometimes rewarded. i faced embarrassing questions from friends and family after marriage for years without a child
    Unknown to them that I was battling with fibroid that I have to removed before being able to conceive.
    Just when my husband decided to take me to a surgery for fibroids,after trying lots of medical prescription but nothing positive could show up. I was seriously looking for means and I thought about Herbs, when my friend Rose told me to try Dr. Akpu power herbal medicine as a power doctor that helped her cure her daughter from Herpes. Luckily for me during my search for my fibroid remedy,I came across a testimony of a lady who was born with HIV, that doctor Akpu helped cured and I was touched if I could have applied it might have work for me before now. This same Herbalist i was directed to some months ago by my friend who he cured his 18 years daughter from Herpes had been so powerful behind my knowledge.
    I told my husband about what I saw and he said I should contact him and try his medicine.
    When I copied the mail and wrote to him,we spoke and explained my problem to him. He said I shouldn't cry any more, I should testify to the world and those who mocked at my barrenness that I'm pregnant.
    I quickly requested for his Medicine , and he prepared and sent it for me with details of how to use.
    His medicine are very effective. And it also boosts up my immune system.
    I did as instructed and after a couple of months I went for the second test when I lost my habitat again,I thought I was fibroid positive again ,my husband took me to the hospital and my Dr. Confirmed me 3 weeks pregnant, Fibroid negative.
    That blows my mind!
    I had just conceive. I'm a mother of twice now. A boy and a girl.
    Please help me praise God for opening my eyes to see who directed me to Dr.Akpu power of Africa.
    You should contact him his live at his home or @
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    Phone no(WhatsApp): +234 8079594617
    He had successfully cured people from
    HIV/AIDS,
    Herpes
    Cancers
    Fibroid
    Epilepsy
    Diabetes
    Pile
    Kidney/liver failure
    Stroke
    Poison/ cartridge infection
    Try as much as you can contact this man,for cure or information to your health challenges.
    Dr.Akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    Don't forget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line:+2348101755322 or his Email via dr.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete